Bathroom vanities mostly form the focus in any bathroom. They are the most important central pieces in a bathroom that add to the practicality as well as aesthetic value of the bathroom. The latest elegant and efficient designs mostly incorporate bathroom vanities according to the accent of the design. Depending on the style of the bathroom vanity you choose, you can add to the value of the bathroom plus also organize your bathrooms by storing the important things in it like the toiletries, towels and the cleaning equipment, etc.
Single or double bathroom vanities can be installed according to your needs. Double vanities, ideal for couples, can add to the functionality of the bathroom by providing space for two people to use at one time. If your bathroom has a queue of people waiting outside of it in the morning then having two sinks could make all the difference. People will be able to get ready faster and definitely that too without any frustration.
A vanity can dictate the overall mood and look of the bathroom so opt intelligently when you are deciding the look. Choose from a variety of traditional, modern, country style, art deco, minimalist or any other style that you can think of.
Important points to consider Before Installing a Vanity in Bathroom
- Traditional free standing vanities utilize more floor space and look good and conveniently fit in large bathroom providing more storage also
- Floating or built-in style vanities are great for small bathroom areas as they utilize vertical space rather than floor area.
- Take proper measurements for a suitable vanity. Measure beforehand how much space the opened doors will utilize as the main ideas is that the vanity should not be too big to disturb the flow of traffic in the bathroom.
- If you are at the designing level then definitely you can accommodate fitting the existing features like the electrical switches, inlet and outlet of water and mirror position. In case you want to add a standing vanity to your already built bathroom, you must consider these points.
- Take into account the storage needs that the vanity will fulfil.
- You also want to make sure that the vanity suits your needs for storage. Make sure that if you require, it has plenty of storage for your toiletries, cosmetics and hair accessories such as your hairdryer or straightener. Whether you want a vanity big enough to accommodate cleaning products or your medications or anything else or a smaller one, choose intelligently keeping in mind the space available and needed.
- Decide according to your storage requirements whether you need shelves or drawers. Whether you want close cabinetry or an open one, both shall serve that purpose.
- Calculate the height required, e.g. if considering for kids go for a shorter height and a taller one for the adults.
- Bathroom vanities are versatile and can set the mood of any bathroom. From a beautifully romantic design with fancy looking countertop and an ornate mirror to more contemporary designs that are sleeker and practical including granite counter tops, double sinks and more storage.
- If you want something different you can always go and find something unique in antique and thrift stores.
Vanities for Small Bathrooms
For a smaller bathroom, consider installing efficient bathroom vanities that are storage efficient and yet high in quality and do not occupy much space. The vanity should match the style of your bathroom or vice versa in case the vanity itself portrays a very strong accent as at the end of the day, it has all the capability of becoming the focal point in any bathroom design. They can be a great way of expressing your design personality with the help of unique styles and bold colours.
The most practical design for a small bathroom will be to go for the contemporary style as it is simple yet practical and works best for spaces that are small in size. They require simple lines so that the vanity does not look as overdone and space consuming but is yet practical enough and stores according to the usage.
If space is crucial you can also get away from the traditional centre spacing of the vanity to placing the vanity in corners that are usually remain unused; and by putting a vanity in a corner will make use of the space.
Fixed/ Wall Mounted Vanity:
A floating vanity or wall mounted vanity has the ability to increase the perception of more space. Being fixed to the wall, this vanity does not take much floor space and utilizes more vertical space rather than horizontal and for that reason the wall mounted vanity results in creating an illusion of space.
Standalone vanities are vanities that are not fixed inside the wall, but in fact stand in front of it. They usually take a lot of floor space and are not very ideal for small spaces.
See how the standalone vanity in the image below is making the bathroom busier and hence is not an appropriate style for small bathrooms.
Vanities for Larger Bathroom Spaces
For larger spaces there are no rules or regulations. You can go for whatever you like, whatever style you choose and then design your bathroom around it. You can choose for single or double bathroom vanities according to the functionality and usage of the bathroom. Pair it up with mirrors on the wall on the back tops of the sinks. Choose for automatic or manual faucets that match the mood of your vanity. For larger spaces there is also no limitation for having a standalone traditional style or a wall mounted style.
Also take into consideration your storage requirements. If you require larger storage area, then go for proper cabinetry and drawers under the sink.
Mostly in commercially used places, large vanity type structures are built for the heavy usage with faucets having auto sensors in them that let the water flow only when required.
Master Bathroom Vanities
Master bathrooms usually are the basic centre of all the activities. They need to be functional, practical yet beautiful and attractive in every point of view.
The most functional vanity for a couples use is the one with double sinks and plenty of storage space. You can easily match the vanity style; in fact the whole bathroom style with the bedroom furnishings but it is not a rule of thumb. They both can totally mismatch also but a harmony in the design can be created with the help of creating this similarity.
Vanities for Children Bathrooms
You can go with a variety of ideas for a kid’s bathroom. You just have to keep in mind the age of the kids when designing a bathroom vanity or buying one. For smaller kids you can go for a vanity that is smaller in size along with mirrors at lower height. If you do not want to go for a low height vanity, you can opt for a normal size vanity and provide kids with safe benches on which they can climb on and reach the counter level.
You can go for simple light wood bathroom vanity to colourfully painted ones to match the age, gender or mood you want to create in the bathroom.
If your children are teenagers, opt for more storage vanities. You can simply organize their vanities and dedicate spaces for various things and then make sure that they put the things in the right places and do not clutter the top counters.
Continued to Bathroom Vanities Part 2