Master bedroom is the place that deserves the most importance in your house as it is the room where you spend most of the part of your day , rest, relax and gather energy to work and face the challenges for the coming next days.
A beautifully decorated and comfortable bedroom will not only look good to the eye but will also create a sense of calmness in your life. Here are a few ideas to decorate your bedroom. They are easy to do and less heavy on budget.
DIY Bed Headboard for your Master Bedroom
Headboards can lift the décor of any master bed room instantly. They not only look good but also provide comfort. You can simply buy a whole new bed with a beautiful headboard or you can make it yourself and attach it to the wall by placing it’s slightly above the bed frame.
This simple DIY project can be varied according to the required size of the head board. You simply need to do the math and then adjust the size of the smaller boards which can fit one larger one. E.g. in the headboard below all you need includes:
- 1 backboard 1/2 inch thick and the height/width should be the according to your requirement
- 48 squares (8 squares in each Colum and 6 squares in each row) of 1/4 inches thick wood. Size depends on the size of the basic backboard/48.
- 48 fabric squares, each a little bigger than the size of the wood squares above
- Polyester to fill in
- Using a staple gun, fold the bottom edge of the cloth or faux leather over the wood and staple it well from behind and make sure that all corners are smooth.
- Add some polyester fiber inside the pocket you made with the cloth/leather and wood square.
- Now close the whole fabric square at the back of the wood square neatly with the staples and you will have the first square ready.
- Complete the rest of the 47 squares the same way making 48 upholstered boards.
- Spray paint your backboard from front, sides and back for perfectly neat results. Spray paint to match the fabric color.
- Now place the 48 upholstered squares on the back board when it is dry. Arrange the squares the way you want the final look especially if the fabric is printed and you want to assure that the design is properly set in place.
- Now attach the squares with the back board. You can use very good quality industrial strength glue to attach the squares with the board.
- Attach this backboard to the wall and place the bed base in front of it for a trendy look.
Another alteration to give a classier look to the same DIY project will be to insert silver thumb pins inside the board at the points where four squares meet. This gives an overall classy look to the headboard.
Check this DIY project by triplemaxtons.com
Incorporate Feng Shui in your Master Bedroom Interior
Incorporating Feng Shui in your master bedroom will ideally promote a harmonious flow of nourishing as well as sensual energy. This energy is inviting, calming and exciting at the same time. Here are a few points that anybody can follow to adjust their room decor in accordance to feng shui rules:
Check these tips by forestgreenhomes.com
Remove Gadgets that destroy Feng Shui Energy:
It is believed that the feng shui energy present in a bedroom is destroyed with objects such as TV, computers and other electronic devices. So make sure to remove these devices out of your room and create a peaceful zone free of any kind of noise or other pollutions.
Having any equipment related to fitness or exercise inside your room can also cause stress so also get rid of any exercise equipment if present in your bedroom.
Use Air Purifiers and Wide Open Windows:
Keeping the air fresh, full of oxygen and the bedroom free from pollutants is also important feature of a feng shui bedroom. Make sure you keep the windows open and use air purifiers. Essential oils keep the air pure and naturally fragrant so are an essential part of a feng shui bedroom.
Place the bed in the Correct Position
Bed holds the most important position in a feng shui bedroom. It needs to be well-balanced in all the manners. Its position should be such that is should be approachable from both the sides. The quality of mattress on the bed should be excellent and pure natural fiber sheets should be placed on the bed and anything holding mixed fiber should be avoided.
Make sure that the bed should not be in direct line with the door (as that would create distraction and a feeling of unrest) as this would totally negate the essence of a feng shui bedroom.
Right Color Choice for Master Bedroom
Make the color choice for bedrooms in such a way that it should sooth the eyes. The best colors that are thought to create a sense of harmony in your bedroom are the skin colors. Skin colors ranging from pale white to a less dense shade of brown are soothing colors and can help you to create feng shui balance in your bedroom.
Select Images Carefully
Images carry powerful energy and can also be used to sooth your mind. Images, if used and placed wisely, can put a positive effect in your life. In a Feng Shui bedroom, choose images carefully. Choose something that can help you nourish and beautify your soul or you should place images related to something you want to see happening in your life.
The Correct Lighting According to Feng Shui
Lighting has a lot of role in creating a Feng Shui balance in your master bedroom. Proper lighting serves as a nutrient to give you energy and power. Candles are considered to be the best form feng shui bedroom lighting. Pure beeswax and other candles that are free of harmful toxins can create a very intimate, warming and healing atmosphere.
If you have small kids or you cannot place the ideal candles in your bedroom then make sure that you have different levels of lighting in your bedroom. Install a dimmer switch with all the bulbs and lamps on the walls. Adjust the lighting to be smooth all the times for a complete harmonious feel.
DIY Flower Frame for Master Bedroom
Flower frame is an excellent way to incorporate flowers into your master bedroom decor. This idea is specifically excellent for rooms that are small in size and flower pots and vases can take a lot of horizontal space on the floor or can clutter the tables.
All you need for this project includes:
- Preferably Fresh Flowers
- 2 Slim glass or acrylic containers for the flowers
- old frame with good depth
Check this excellent post by Kiana
How to do it:
- Fill the glass or clear acrylic containers with water
- Acrylic over glass for this project is preferable as the glass containers are a little heavy and difficult to handle.
- Place the flowers inside the containers
- Take an old frame which has a good depth (distance between the front mirror and back of the frame)
- Remove the front mirror of the frame
- Paint the frame in the color of your choice and let the paint dry
- Hang the frame sturdily at a position
- Put the flowers in container inside the frame and attach the container back to the frame base with a very good adhesive
This DIY project will add a lot of life to a small master bedroom by bringing in nature and can also serve as a great addition for a large master bedroom.
Color Selection for Master Bedroom
When you are totally confused about which color to use on the walls and for the color scheming of the room, close your eyes or look outside the window. Imagine how everything looks beautiful under the blue sky ;). Yes! Definitely blue is the safest choice of color when you are in confusion.
Check more ideas at terrysfabrics.co.uk
Limiting down your choice of colors, tones and textures, one definitely experiences that blue is one color that is liked by everyone. Most important of all is that the shade of blue you have chosen should match the space and lighting in that area to settle the mood.
Blue gives a feeling of calmness and has versatility in many senses:
- For the young, it becomes inspirational
- As you grow in age, the color is relaxing for you. For a test, try a glass of wine in a shade of blue and feel the relaxation increased to a new level.
- A merry cobalt blue on the ceiling makes you to relax and can be a style statement for a very grand interior
- A light blue room interior with windows that are wide and provide a panoramic view of the sea can instantly add to the philosophic mood of anyone.
Elite DIY Vanity Stool for Less
Want to make your room stand out and speak of class and beauty? One of the easiest ways to do this is by incorporating a few fancy and rich textures into your room. One of the ways that always work is to add leather accents to your room. The richest texture that can be added to the room is the great ‘Mongolian Fur’. This fur is very expensive and is only used in high end designer furnishings.
If you are on a budget, consider faux Mongolian fur which looks almost as good as the real one and helps you stay on your budget. Create this Vanity Stool to add glamour to your room.
You can simply DIY your Vanity Stool for less with these things:
Check this DIY project from Rachel
- An old (preferably metallic legs) stool
- Piece of Mongolian faux leather big enough to cover the stool
- Spray Paint
- Small Nails
How to do it:
- Remove the cushioned top from the base of the stool
- Wrap it over with the fabulons faux Mongolien fur
- wrap the ends on the back side of the cushion and secure the leather on the top by hammering 1/2 inch nails at the bottom which will go easily into the frame at the back of the stool cushion seat
- now spray paint the base in golden color for a more glamorous look
Your classy Mongolian fur vanity stool is ready. You can also make a few cushions with this fur for the bed or throw a piece of fur on top of the bed to create the beautiful and glamorous look.
Create the Romantic Master Bedroom with Proper Lighting
Lighting plays a great role when it comes to romance. To be true, there is nothing romantic about a well lit room 😉 so keep the well-lit and bright room for your studies and work only. Remember the point that overhead lighting is considered totally unflattering and nonromantic so is a big no for a romantic bedroom.
Romantic feel in a room is only created by the shadows, highlights and soft glows by the help of lamps, yellow light of low intensity, dimmer switches etc.
Check these best romantic bedrooms at roomdecorideas.eu
In your master bedroom, place the lamps with good shades on them. In case you have a small room and do not want to clutter the side tables, you can easily use wall mounted lamps with yellow light bulbs and power no more than 60 watts. Make sure that these lamps are also covered by lamp shades. In case you are installing lamps by your bedsides that do not have shades and consist of bulbs inside crystal or glass containers, you can stain glass such a cover to slow down the bright light from the bulb.
Another important point is that change all the lighting in your master bedroom from white light to yellow lighting. Also attach dimmers to control the intensity of light coming from the bulb. Dimmers should be attached to all the bulbs whether in bulb holders, chandeliers or inside the lamps.
Another great idea can also be to use candles placed in candle stands to create a Romanic air in the bedroom. Make sure that you are safe from the fire hazard when using such things. Otherwise it is good to stay safe and use the ideas given above.
Canvas Room Decor for Master Bedroom
This canvas print with your date written in huge fonts can be a great romantic gift for your partner to express your love on your wedding anniversary. You can get the dates printed in vertical as well as horizontal style according to the wall where you want to put it.
This interesting wall canvas can be placed in your room can form an interesting corner or can fill up a narrow space between two doors and look great.
Create a focal point:
Focal point can be a backbone of any good decor. The main idea behind creating a focal point is to accentuate the positive feature in the room and remove the emphasis from other negative or less important features. This especially works wonderfully for small rooms. Creating a focal point is so much more than creating a mere attractive point in the room.
Focal Point in actual is that eye-catching spot that has the power to wrap up the whole theme of your room and does not allow the eye to wander around it. A single object on its own cannot create a total focus, in fact, it’s like a team effort or combined effect in the room that allows that object to hold its focus position. In simple words, a focal point will only be strong if there are no other potentially attractive points that by any chance could steal the attention or focus away from the set main focal point.
e.g. If you have an art work that is beautiful and attractive, place it above the bed to draw the eye away from the rest of the room that might be small in size or has an ordinary bed or furniture.
Consider the same scenario as if you are not too pleased with your bed but you have an antique dresser that looks awesome. You can stage the dresser in a way that it becomes the focus point. For example, you can add a colorful vase or lamp to the dresser top to draw the whole attention towards it and make it the focus of the room.
Go Fearless with Master Bedroom Decor
When it comes to creativity, there are no boundaries. While dealing with the room décor, if you follow the basic rules of space and lighting to be on the safe side, you can play fearlessly and creatively with colors to create beautiful effects in your bedroom.
The safest and the most sophisticated way can be to go with a palette of sophisticated grays in the background and the main things, and then top up and add touches of exciting saturated hues. By keeping the base in a neutral color and then using popping colors on top of it will allow you to go for a calculated risk instead of a complete color disaster. For example, a room with light grey walls and flooring, with grey and white mixed as a basic color for bedding and upholstery in the bedroom can be beautifully lifted up with geometric pillows of same of darker shades of base color along with other colorful cushions.
A soothing white background with white walls, white curtains and furniture is surely a soothing backdrop for a palette of rich colors. Place pops of colors intelligently at different places and see how beautiful the decor looks.
These colorful pops can be created by adding color through the art work above the bed, with some color matching of bed cushions with the art work and this entire look tied together with the use of some other elements like the complementing bed cover and rug on floor.
Antique Room in a Budget
Go for the beautiful antique look in your master bedroom. You do not need to get totally out of budget to create an antique look. Instead of spending on fancy and costly antiques, you can intelligently survey at the thrift stores and other second hand shops to get a nice old designed head boards.
A wrought iron bedroom always gives the right impression.
You can get creative and add something old and out of the box For example, a beautiful trunk turned into a nightstand or your grandmother’s old dresser can look wonderful in your bedroom. A visit to the flea markets or thrift store will help you find a few more things that can blend in or stand out in your interior to tie the overall look together. A beautiful handmade rug can also add to the overall look and beauty.
Few Ideas for small Bedroom
A few things to consider while decorating a small master bedroom include:
- Try to place large pieces of furniture e.g. bed and dressers against the walls.
- Scale the furniture to fit the size of the room and don’t go for a huge king size bed if you have a small room.
- Avoid blocking the walking pathway in your room. By moving the furniture away from the walkways you’ll be able to open up the space and create an illusion of a much larger space. Having the ability to see the floor more will also make the room appear larger.
- Use large mirrors on walls to reflect light and create space.
- Use multi-function furniture to increase storage e.g. a bed with under drawers or a system to lift up and store things under. Or Acrylic furniture like transparent dressers and chairs that can also help to show space as compared to the traditional heavy wood furniture.
- Choose furniture for the bedroom with preferably open arms and legs to allow light to filter under the furniture, thus making the room appear larger, bright and airier.
- Furniture with glass tops and fronts give the appearance of opened up space. Try using side tables with glass tops or fronts, a glass coffee table top etc.
- Use vertical spaces for storage in your room, to avoid more clothing on floor or horizontal space.