One of the most essential things that every home requires is a proper shoe storage area. This area can be a part of your wardrobe and store all your shoes or it can also be an area that is a part of the home entrance that allows people to take of their shoes before entering the house to keep the floors of the house sparkling and clean.
There are many readymade shoe storage accessories available in the market including shelves and drawers that are generally used for storing anything plus customized shoe drawers and cabinets that are specifically made to fit in shoes.
In case you want a totally customized solution for shoe storage that is functional, practical, creative and stylish you can easily do it yourself (DIY). DIY shoe storages can be easily used at homes to store your shoes and make them look good too.
DIY PVC Pipe Storage
Check DIY by Vanessa
- PVC Pipes
- PVC glue
- Primer spray
- Get PVC pipe cut into 10 inches lengthwise from a hardware store
- Decide the configuration you want e.g.
- Place the pipes in the same formation on a surface
- Now mark the attaching points of the pipes that are the points where the circles touch each other
- Put your gloves on and apply a line of glue along the points and start attaching the line to the point of the other pipe. Clamp the pipes after applying glue so they stay together.
- Now if you want this shoe storage to match the color of the interior, simply cover the outer sides of the pipes with primer in some outdoor area; after primer dries, apply paint spray to the outer side of the pipes.
- Let everything dry and then attach this structure to the wall and place your shoes inside it. It would be a lovely addition to your walk in wardrobe of wardrobes that are huge in size.
DIY Shoe Storage on Towel hanging Rods
Check this post by simplifiedbee.com
An excellent idea to de clutter your shoes mess is to sort of hang them from towel hanging bars. The ideal shoes to be stored like this are high heels which otherwise take a lot of space in your cupboard.
This is an excellent and easy DIY project that only requires:
- Towel hanging rods
- Mark the points where you want to hammer the rods on the wall
- Hammer the rods in place with nails. You can add multiple horizontal rods on the wall to put in many shoes at one time.
Shoe Storage with Style
Check this lovely shoe display by Dyer
This idea can work well if you do not have a very huge number of shoes to store and definitely when you have shoes that are colourful and lovely to look at. It’s all about your style in the end.
Simply arrange your shoes on the book shelf with Style. You can also add some other accessories to the setting to make the colours pop out. The rule to practice here is that there are no rules to be followed in an arrangement that is so creative and totally depends upon how the overall look is created in the end. Try and change and arrange everything in a way that it groups well and looks good to the eye in the end.
DIY Wooden Crate Shoe Storage
Check Jen for above DIY storage details
An excellent creative solution for shoe storage with style can be the DIY Wooden Crate Storage. This storage solution is not only convenient but also cost effective and easy to do. The whole idea behind this is to utilize extra crates and convert them into shoe storage boxes.
- Cleaning cloth
- Take a few crates and make sure you do all the processes in open air
- Rub them with sand paper
- Dust off their surfaces
- Apply spray primer to them
- Paint these crates from inside and outside according to the color of your choice
- Let the paint dry
- Apply another coat if necessary
Optional: After the base color is dry you can also add designs to the crates to make them more interesting
- Hang these crates to the wall with the help of nails.
Set your shoes inside these crates. For a more sophisticated and organized look, you can put these shoes in boxes and then put these boxes inside the crates. Enjoy this DIY and organize your shoes today…
Design idea by vanessarhodesinteriors.com
Shoe drawers are an excellent way of storing shoes as they are specifically made to accommodate them. These drawers are usually placed near the entrance door of the house in order for people to take off their shoes before entering. This helps the house to remain clean by keeping the floors tidy the and neat. These shoe drawers easily open and can accommodate a large number of shoes in them. This style of shoe racks also keeps the shoes in good condition as they do not allow the dust to get inside and keep them clean. This design of shoe shelf has an added drawer at the top to accommodate shoe polish and brushes.
You can design and get this shelf made according to your preferences or if you are good at carpentering do it yourself and enjoy this project.
DIY Shoe Hanger
This is an excellent DIY design for shoe storage that is convenient and practical. It can easily hang behind the doors and can accommodate flat shoes like flip-flops, flat pumps and other flat and light weight shoes that do not get de shaped coz of a little pressure put on them to hold them hanging in one place. Specially baby shoes.
For this DIY projects you require:
- Sturdy fabric that can hold a little weight
- Elastic belt with a D type knuckle
- Optional: Sewing machine
- Choose the fabric colour and cut it out long enough to cover most of your door length wise so that you can accommodate many shoes. Choose fabric colour to match with your rooms colour theme.
- Fold the ends of the sturdy cloth and turn the ends inside from the back (the back that will touch and go flat with the door
- Now with the appropriate measurements that will fit your shoe in, mark the cloth after regular intervals with this scale
- Cut 2 holes/lines near to one another at one measurement point. These holes should be wide enough to let the belt pass through it
- Pass the belt by keeping the D end at the top side of the shoes holder
- Hang it with a nail on the back of the door and pass your shoes through the elastic bands going over the cloth.
Sophisticated Under Cover Storage
Add a touch of sophistication to your house by adding this linen-skirted table. This dual purpose table can be a great addition to the interior as well as can serve for storing shoes under it. This table can be placed at the entrance of your house to put mail and deliveries on it. Accompanied by a mirror on the back wall will this table can add a grand look to your interior.
The beautiful drapes have the ability to hide the intelligent storage of shoes under this table and de clutter the house by taking the shoes away from the eye and storing it under. This table, when placed near the front door allows everyone to take off their shoes and place them neatly under the table.
This linen skirted table also works as a mail table plus the mirror added to it allows people to set their hair and other stuff while going in and out of the house. This shoe storage is practical and functional and also takes the interior of the house to another level of sophistication.
Using Crown moulding as shoe rack
Crown moulding idea by digthisdesign.net
Using crown mouldings for shoe storage is an excellent idea if you are running out of space or you are on a tight budget. These crown mouldings can neatly hold all your high heeled shoes in less space. You can attach these mouldings to the wall horizontally at different levels. Different types of fancy mouldings can also be used to add to the décor. A lot of interesting looks can be created by painting these mouldings. These mouldings can then be attached to contrasting walls to add a new look to the room theme.
Crown mouldings come in large varieties of designs and colours. We can easily buy them and get them attached to the wall to create beautiful effects.
Plastic Shoe Storage Boxes
This is probably one of the most organized ways of storing your shoes. These plastic containers are easily available in all super markets. You can also use cardboard boxes if you are on a budget. But definitely plastic shoe boxes are a better choice because they are easy to stack, sturdy and do not allow much dust into them, thus protecting the show and making it live longer.
A very convenient and practical idea would be to take a photograph of your shoe, get the photograph printed and pasted on one side of the box. This will help you in organizing and saving time in taking out the shoe you want.
After the shoes are placed inside the boxes, you can easily place these boxes either inside the cupboard or under the bed also. Simple stack one above the other and enjoy…
Under Stair Storage
This intelligent storage solution proves great for small houses that do not have enough space to build storage by but have a stairway in their design. The area directly under the stair step is usually not utilized for storage. This results in a wastage of space. If intelligently built, stair tread can be easily used to store shoes as well as other small items.
Another space that is left unattended in shoe storage is under the bed area. Carefully put all your shoes in a box and then slide this box under the bed. This is an easy storage idea that keeps the clutter away from eyes and stores the shoes well.
Hanging boots DIY by diyshowoff.com
Long boots can be easily hung inside closets with the help of small clip like hangers. These hangers hang the shoes in vertical space allowing less utilization of horizontal space for shoe storage. This shoe storage has an added benefit to it that it does not allow the long boots to wrinkle. Use this idea and conveniently hang your shoes along your clothes inside your closet.
DIY Pallet shoe storage
Check 101pallets.com for more ideas
Shoe stand made with wooden pallets is a budget friendly DIY shoe storage idea that you can easily implement anywhere. This shoe storage is ideal especially for outdoor places. All you need to convert a pallet into an attractive shoes storage are a few wooden pallets and tools. You can use it easily for kids’ shoes and shoes that do not get de-shaped easily when they are placed under a little bit of pressure. Thing required include:
- 1 Pallet (in good condition)
- Sand paper
- Take a pallet in good condition. You can easily get them very cheap from the market. Open up the pallet by properly taking out the nails from inside it that holds them together.
- Make measurements for the storage, that how much empty space should be left between the planks that would allow shoes to fit in easily
- Attach the planks again
- Rub the overall structure with sandpaper
- Clean it with a cloth, add paint if you want otherwise let it remain bare looking.
- Your shelf is ready to use. Put your shoes inside and enjoy.